Friday, October 5, 2012

E's badge of courage

There is a hotel we pass every now and then that reminds E of a hotel we stayed in at the beach. It always starts a fun conversation about the last time we were at the beach and all the good times we had. She blends a few different trips together which is okay. She loves going to the beach. Daddy digs up lots of crabs for her.

We passed that hotel today. The last time we were at the beach was the last time things were normal. Over the last several months the story always ends with E saying she wants to go back to the beach. I always say we will go as soon as the doctor says it is okay. Then we move on to another topic.

Today, the topic was "when will my booboo go away?" Her surgery scar. (Heart sank.) How do you explain this to a 3 year old?? First we had to talk about what a scar was. Everyone has them. Then I had to explain it wasn't going to go away. It would get smaller and not as red. But it would always be there. It didn't mean she still had slugs.

Tonight as I was tucking her in to bed she brought it up again. I told her it was something to be proud of. It meant we found the slugs and took them out. We beat the slugs. It showed what a strong and brave girl she is. She said thank you mommy. I love you.

My sweet sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment